RANHFV Reunion 2017
Registration for this event has now closed, but for the information of those attending the program is set out below.
Sunday 15th October 2017
Morning: Service at Chapel 10:00am. Cost: Nil
Logistics: Private transport to NAS Nowra
- Security clearance at Main Gate for entry
- Assemble at Chapel for a Non-Denomination Service
- On completion travel to Museum.
Afternoon: Meet & Greet BBQ Lunch
Cost: Nil for BBQ, refreshments at own expense.
Logistics: Meet at Museum at 11:30 am for Meet & Greet, BBQ and socialise.
- Collect name badge, goodies bag and tickets for Reunion Dinner.
- PSE envelopes available for sale and stamping
- Drinks will be available from arrival (at own cost).
- Catered BBQ lunch
- Opportunity to make table reservations with mates for Reunion Dinner Sunday night
- Meet some of 723 Squadron current aircrew
- Formalities to an absolute bare minimum.
- Dress is smart casual.
- Private transport back to Nowra.
Evening: Dinner at the Bomaderry Bowling Club
Cost: $50.00 per person 3 course meal
Logistics: Meet at Bomaderry Bowling Club at 6:30 pm for a 7:00 pm start.
- Pre-dinner drinks (at own cost) in bar area.
- 7:00 pm guests should be seated ready for Entrée, Mains and Desserts.
- There will be no speeches.
- Enjoy each other’s company.
- Last drinks at 11:30 pm.
- Courtesy Bus available for limited numbers.
- Dress is smart casual.
Monday 16th October 2017
Morning: Dedication of Plaque to mark 50 Years since HFV1 left Australia
Cost: $12 for BBQ, refreshments at own expense.
Logistics: Assemble at Museum at 9:45 am for a 10:00 am start
- Private transport to Museum
- Seating and ceremony facilities set up by 723 Sqn
- Nowra Hill Public School Student and Staff to Museum
- Dress with medals
- Dedication Ceremony as per program (CN to perform Dedication)
- Presentation of medals/awards
- You will need to bring your Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Unit Citation with you and hand it to me if you want it to be presented on the day by CN or COMFAA (GG not attending as planned originally)
- Completion BBQ lunch
- Students and Staff back to NHPS
Afternoon: Guided tour of HMAS Albatross and HFV in Vietnam Seminar
Location: Meet at the Museum
Logistics: 723 arranged bus and tour guide
- On completion private transport to Nowra.
- 12:45pm meet at the Museum’s Admiral Robertson Gallery for HFV Seminar
- Seminar as per program
Evening – Ceremonial Sunset and Official Reception:
Cost: Nil for Reunion members* and their partners
Logistics: Meet at Museum at 6:00 pm for 6:30 pm start
- Drinks available in bar area.
- 5:30 pm members and partners should be ready for programmed event.
- Enjoy each other’s company.
- Private transport to Nowra.
- Dress as appropriate.
*Reunion Members are those who served on the RANHFV, 135th AHC, 9 Sqn, 2 RAR, etc
Tuesday 17th October 2017
Morning: Service at Bomaderry Memorial.
Logistics: Muster at Bomaderry RSL at 9:45 am, 10 am march to Walsh Park for Service
- Private transport to Bomaderry
- Security, march and service as per program
- 10:05 Markers
- VIP to take salute
- Wreaths can be laid
- Dress with medals.
- Lunch and refreshments at Bomaderry RSL Club at own expense (cost to be advised)
Evening: Farewell Dinner at Shoalhaven Ex Servicemen’s Club
Cost: $20 per person
Logistics: Meet at Club for Dinner
- Courtesy Bus (limited numbers) pick up to Club
- All drinks (at own cost) in bar area.
- Eastern Tiger Restaurant open 5:30 until 9:00pm
- Be seated by 6:00 pm
- Adjourn to bar area when Restaurant closes at 9pm
- Dress neat casual
- As informal as possible, there to enjoy each other’s company
- Transport to Nowra drop off points
- The buffet offers a selection of roast meats, BBQ cook food, Vegetables, Mixed salads, individual salads, Deep fried food as well as kids food, Chinese selection, Hot desserts, cold desserts, Sushi, Tea and coffee selection as well as much more.
Wednesday 18th October 2017
Day: Visit to Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Inc. (HARS), take camera.
Location: Albion Park
Cost: Own expense.
- Private transport to Albion Park leaving Nowra at 9 am
- Morning tea at 10 am.
- Tour facility
- Lunch at HARS at 12 noon
- HARS will provide alternate meals as required
- Return to Nowra by private transport.
Night: Informal dinner at own expense.
Location: Sportman’s Club Worrigee
- Meet at club at 6 pm
- Informal drinks and meal at own expense
By Road: On the Pacific Highway, 150 kilometres south of Sydney
By Air: Fly your own lighty to the Airfield
By Rail: Bomaderry Railway Station is at the end of the South Coast line.
Payment is now due and you are asked to do so promptly. Download the payment form here for details
Accommodation List: List of some of the accommodation in Nowra can be found in the sidebar to the right. The US personnel attending will be billeted by local families.
Missing: This is a list of HFV members who have vanished and we’ve been unable to locate. If you know anything about them please pass on the reunion information to them and let Mac know. It is important that everybody is informed about our reunion.
Raymond Basil Hawkins (2)
Raymond Harold Homer (1)
Raymond Marshall Jones (1)
John Gibb Lambert (2)
Peter Robert Malcolm (4)
Francis John Mills (3)
James Henry Montgomery (3)
Garrie David Morris (3)
Willem Wessell Oppenhuis (1)
Graham Victor Terrell (3)
David Nelson Varley (1)
Life After Vietnam: We would also like to compile a book on what you did after you returned from Vietnam until present. The completed book will be given to all who attend and copies will also be kept as a part of our history by the Museum and the Sea Power Centre. So if you could put together a brief outline (half a page maximum) of your post Vietnam life and send it onto Mac by email here. This also includes US Army, 9 Sqn and 2 RAR personnel.
VCG Application: Approval has been given for various Australian units to apply for the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry Unit Citation. You can apply for it on line or by post. The link is here. If you would like it to be presented to you please tick the box on the EOI form below.
Please tell and/or forward onto your mates about this info package just in case we have the incorrect contact details, etc just to make sure everybody knows about it. The link for this page is https://www.faaaa.asn.au/ranhfv-reunion-2017/
Mac is the point of contact and his details are: John Macartney, 14 Joel Drive, Old Bar, NSW 2430. Home: (02) 6557 4165, Mobile: 0427 787 296. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
At the moment the intention is for all personnel coming from the States to be billeted in private homes in Nowra.
For the remainder I’ve been to Nowra and visited the various motels that looked OK and the list is below. I have not made any group booking, instead I have left it to you to book your own. In no particular order:
Nowra Motor Inn, 202 Kinghorne Street, Nowra, Phone (02) 4421 0555, Fax (02) 4423 1506, Web www.nowramotorinn.com.au Email E.email@example.com Hosts Danny & Kerrie. Danny told me that it is best to ring them and they will look at giving us a discount. Very helpful people.
Quest Nowra, 130 Kinghorne Street, Nowra, Phone (02) 4421 9300, Fax (02) 4421 9399, Web www.questnowra.com.au Email firstname.lastname@example.org Hosts Alex and Kay-Lea. A fairly new establishment. The only one in Nowra that offered to show me around and Alex is rightly proud of the Quest.
Finally, Jack McCaffrie from the Naval Studies Group of the Australian Centre for Armed Conflict and Society has arranged for a seminar to be conducted during the reunion, on the Tuesday afternoon after the March at Bomaderry. Its outline is below:
RAN HELICOPTER FLIGHT VIETNAM (HFV) SEMINAR
1300 – 1305 Introduction and welcome Peter Jones
1315 – 1335 Preparing to Deploy
1335 – 1355 Flying with the US Army
1355 – 1415 Flying with the RAAF
1415 – 1430 Q and A
1430 – 1450 Afternoon tea
1450 – 1510 Leading the Push
1510 – 1530 HFV – a US Army view
1530 – 1550 Keeping them Airborne
1550 – 1605 Q and A
1605 – 1625 The families back home
1625 – 1645 The legacy – adjusting to peace
1645 – 1715 Q and A (Open forum)
1715 Seminar ends
This will be an opportunity for all of us to make a contribution which will be recorded in history of what we did in Vietnam. So please have a think about giving it a go and send Mac your name and what you would like to talk about.