It is with sadness that the FAAAA has learned of the death of David Innes,  late President of the Association’s TAS Division.  John Da Costa provided some words about David’s life: 

David (Dave) Alexander Innes was a Course-mate of mine when I joined the RAN as a Direct Entry Aircrew in 1955.

As a sailor, he had served in Korea in HMAS Sydney. Later, as (I think) an “Acting Provisional Leading Radio Electrician’s Mate (Air)”  he transferred to Aircrew Training.  As such he joined the rest of us Direct Entry Aircrew trainees and became a Recruit Naval Airman (Aircrew) on NAAC (Naval Airman Aircrew Course) No.14 at Flinders Naval Depot (Cerberus).  There, he helped us a lot with his knowledge and experience of Navy culture (from a Lower Deck perspective, which was very useful!) .

After Recruit School, we began Pilot Training at RAAF Base Uranquinty (near Wagga in NSW).  Part way through the flying course, Dave transferred to Observer training and qualified as an All Weather Fighter Observer (Radar Operator and Navigator) in Sea Venom FAW53 aircraft.

Whilst I only flew with occasionally on 805 Squadron in 1959/60, I flew regularly with him as a Crew in the mid-1960s on 816 Squadron B Flight in HMAS Melbourne and on 724 Squadron (based at Nowra).

Later, Dave served in HMAS Diamantina in its role as an RAN Oceanographic Ship in the Indian Ocean.  He was married and had three children (one from his wife’s first marriage) and was serving in Navy Office at the conclusion of his Naval service.

After leaving the Navy, Dave stayed in Canberra and bought  a carpet supplies business located in Fyshwick, ACT.  He later moved to Wollongong and then to Sheffield in Tasmania where he became heavily involved in community and church work, as a veterans advocate, as President of the Sheffield sub-Branch of the RSL and as President of the Tasmanian Branch of the Fleet Air Arm Association of Australia. 

It is reported that David died of a heart attack on 16 June 2015 whilst travelling on the mainland. He is survived by his second wife, Josie.

The funeral was held on Thursday 25th June 2015 at 11am at the Lake Side Memorial Park 230 Kanahooka Road Dapto NSW 2530 and afterwards at the Parsons Funeral Home 4 Princes Hwy Dapto.   It was attended by the Webmaster, Captain Marcus Peake, who represented the FAAAA.