N7-212 Aircraft History:
- First Flight 18/01/63.
- Ditched Jervis Bay near Bowen Island 22/1/78 when with 817 Sqn for SAR duties – was transiting from RANAS Nowra to HMAS Melbourne when it suffered engine failure. Leut(P) D.Anderson RAN LSA R.Cousins and AB Wilkinson swam ashore.
- The helo remained afloat and was towed to Murrays Beach from where it was underslung on an RAAF Chinook helicopter and flown to NAS Nowra.
- Stored but never repaired and while after being on loan on static display in Melbourne City N7-212 was struck off charge on 12/04/89.
- Was located at Country Fire Authority Training ground at Fiskville, Vic as a fire training aid.
- 10/2012 moved to and on display at Richard Winterburn’s aircraft museum at Heathcote, Vic.
- 2015 Sold to Badgery Creek, NSW Paint Ball Park
Read Aircrewman’s article on ditching here
Below. Wessex 822 suffers the indignity of being part of a Paint Ball park near Badgery’s Creek in NSW. (Image: Derelect Aircraft Museum)