News & Views

Firefly Wreckage found in Jervis Bay

Jul 28, 2016


Memorial For Lost Aircrew

Around 3pm on November 27,1956 two Firefly aircraft flown by young British pilots collided off the coast of NSW.  SBLT David Eagles was flying aircraft VX 381 that lost about seven feet of one wing and ditched a short time later, with both aircrew surviving.  The crew of WD887 were not so fortunate:  the aircraft crashed into the sea and broke up, and both were killed.

Exactly sixty years on the Commander of the Fleet Air Arm, CDRE Chris Smallhorn, has conducted a memorial service for the two young airmen whose bodies were never recovered: Arthur Arundel and Noel Fogarty.  Fortuitously, the location of this aircraft was only recently found so the service was over the very spot they lost their lives. 

After a tour in Australia David Eagles returned to the UK and went on to fulfil a long and distinguished flying career, culminating as Chief Test Pilot to British Aerospace.  His book, including a chapter on Australia (in which he recounts the Firefly collision can be seen here

The headphone graphic below will take you to a wonderful audio by Chris Firth of Radio 2ST, who tells the full story.  Alternatively you can read the South Coast Register report published on 27 July, which gives an account of the accident and the finding of WD887.  




South Coast Register: Navy plane wreck in Jervis Bay remembered on 60th anniversary


Eagles was flying aircraft VX 381 and Arundel WD 887. They rendezvoused over Huskisson but as they entered the waters of Jervis Bay, they collided near the opening to Moona Moona Creek.

Eagles and Debus lost seven feet of the starboard wing and managed to limp the aircraft to Hare Bay off Callala.

Because they couldn’t gain enough height to clear the trees and get back to Albatross, they negotiated a water landing, coming in fast, hitting the water at 130 knots or about 182km/h.

They managed to get out of the aircraft and into a life raft. It only took 15 seconds for the plane to sink.

Rescue crews were scrambled from both Albatross and HMAS Creswell, with Eagles and Debus rescued by a Sycamore helicopter at 3.15pm and returned to the Naval Air Station.

The aircraft sunk in about 15 metres of water, and went largely undiscovered until 1983 when it was rediscovered by local diver Charlie Pickering, since becoming a popular dive location.

Arundel and Fogarty were not as lucky. Their aircraft speared into Jervis Bay at about 250 knots.

Despite extensive searches of the area, including by divers, the plane and the bodies were never recovered.

“You’ve got to remember back then in ’56 they were still using bell helmets to dive and didn’t have the gear we have now,” Mr Stubbs said.

Stubbs has been diving on the remaining Firefly since 2005, making numerous dives at the location with friends.

“I have always had a passion for historical military dives. Diving on this wreck sparked an interest and I wanted to find out more about it,” he said.

“I’ve always wondered who had flown the plane and what happened.

“I managed to track down reports and learned that two men died. I have wanted to put something on the plane that tells the story as to why it’s there and what happened.”

He always wondered what may have happened to the other aircraft and despite searches hadn’t been able to locate the crash site.

He wondered if the surviving pilot or navigator were still alive and tried to track down David Eagles but could find no trace of him in Britain. Incredibly, it was a chance meeting with a couple of British backpackers who were having car trouble at North Nowra who helped solve the mystery.

“They came into the workshop the next day for me to try and help them with the car and we got talking and I told them the story of trying to track down David Eagles,” Stubbs said.

“Within five minutes one of the young girls had managed to track down an Eagles in the UK and where they lived. She found an Ann Eagles. The phone was listed under John David Eagles. There were no Davids in the phone book. Hoping against hope he made the call and asked the man who answered if he was David Eagles and if he’d served in Australian in 1956. He answered yes and that started a whole new adventure.

At 81 years of age, Stubbs said the former pilot was still extremely sharp.

With Arundel and Ian O’Gilvey he was one of three young British pilots to come to Australia on loan to the RAN.

He arrived in early 1956 and went home in 1958. Within 13 months Eagles would be the only one alive, with Ian also killed over the Mediterranean.

He fondly remembers celebrating his 21st birthday in the Prince of Wales Hotel in Nowra.

“He went on to have an incredible career in the British Navy, was a test pilot of the Tornado Jet Fighter and worked with the British Aerospace Program,” Stubbs said.

“His response was simple ‘why did it take 60 years for someone to contact me?’

“I told him my intention to put a memorial plaque on the plane for the 60th anniversary.

We have been able to recover some debris and found a few items which identified it as wreckage of 887. We are 100 per cent certain we have the right plane.– Diver Greg Stubbs

“And the rest as they say is history.”

The pair have struck up a great friendship and when David came to Australia in February they met face to face in Sydney.

“It was just incredible to meet this man I had read so much about,” Stubbs said.

“He told me openly about the accident, what actually happened and how he was ‘blessed’ to make it out.

“He provided me with more info than was available in the reports.

“From that, I was able to pinpoint the possible crash site better and narrow my search area.

“It gave me a whole new perspective on what I was looking for and where.”

In late March Stubbs located a debris field.

“It took about 10 years of searching to find it,” he said.

“The plane broke up on impact. And whatever may have been left has long been trolled over by the scalloping of the Bay. And the sand continually moves with the tides and swallows things up.

“But we have been able to recover some debris and in that found a few items which identified it as the right plane.

“Through Terry Hetherington at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, who has been a great help, we have been able to identify it as wreckage of 887.

“We are 100 per cent certain we have the right plane.

“Somewhere in there there has to be the big parts like an engine and gearbox. But it is a bit like a needle in a haystack.”

While not precisely giving the crash site away, he said it is located about 3.5km off Moona Moona Creek.

He also found navigator Don Debus, who lives in Canberra, with both men along with the Navy giving Stubbs their blessing to place a memorial on the remaining aircraft.

We all get a lot of enjoyment out of diving on it [the Firefly]. It is a wonderful experience but we must also remember how it came to being. It was a tragedy that has given us this opportunity. Two young men gave their lives.– Diver Greg Stubbs

He plans to hold a ceremony over the crash site on November 26 and lay a wreath, before moving over to Callala where the Firefly rests where he will dive down and put a memorial plaque in place on the plane.

He hopes Mr Eagles may even make it out for the ceremony.

“Sure, we all get a lot of enjoyment out of diving on it [the Firefly]. It is a wonderful experience but we must also remember how it came to being. It was a tragedy that has given us this opportunity. Two young men gave their lives,” he said.

Recent News

HAMLYN, Warren Bruce

Sadly,  we wish to advise that Fleet Air Arm veteran, CMDR Warren Hamlyn, passed away 8th March 2024. Warren, who was born in Waverley on 2nd July 1940, joined the RAN as a Supplementary List Midshipman in February of 1963 and four months after his basic training at...


The Annual General Meeting of NSW Division and the Election of Office Bearers for the coming year will be held on SATURDAY 16th March 2024 COMMENCING AT 1200 AT THE WHITE ENSIGN CLUB HMAS ALBATROSS (on the western side of the Fleet Air Arm Museum). All Members are...

HILL, Alan

We have been advised of the death of ex-CPOATA Alan Hill, late of the Gold Coast, on 17 December 2023. He was 92 years old. Alan served in the FAA from 1949 to 1975 , in early days of Fireflys then Venoms and later Skyhawks. He served on all three RAN carriers, Sydney...